Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

night cycling - this place really isnt cambridge

Having worked late I cycled the 3 miles home with my great little LED head torch on. Well, that's great to be seen by if you live in Cambridge with street lighting. Rural Nevada is quite a different story, there is very little light pollution here so cycling in the dark really means that!

As I set off at first I stayed close to the edge of the road but the edge had no markings to I managed to slip off the road badly once. In the pitch dark, vaguely remembering deep ditches and hearing running water and sensing wildlife around got a little spooked! In the end cycled home down the middle of the road, which had a nice painted line, but as cars came (I had about 2 miles warning on these long straight roads) it was pretty hard to find the edge of the road to get out of the way!

Nice to be back on the bike. And when I chilled out about cycling in the pitch dark, it was amazing to look up and see the stars, quite something else. I may need to learn how to photograph stars! (and I may need to buy a better front light!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home