Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Death Ride

I haven't done that much since I have been here yet because I've been working very long hours - I haven't even seen Lake Tahoe yet.

So I've set out to fix it and try and get to work on the 6lbs I have already gained since arriving. I signed up for the California Death Ride, 129 miles in the desert with 15,000ft of climbing. This is a somewhat nuts idea for a whole raft of reasons, like: I have not ridden anywhere for more than 2 weeks; I am used to cycling in flatlands (Cambridge); I hate the heat; I am not used to this altitude yet (it goes up to 8,700ft); I haven't done much exercise at all for quite a while; and I don't know when to quit, so my brain will want me to finish the whole thing (which someone tells me is a bit like riding 200 miles); oh, and it is windy as you like around here, from all directions.

On the plus side, it is a company supported event so it is free and there is a free t-shirt. And the circuit is a series of loops, crossing the start/finish line in multiple places along the way, providing ample opportunity to give up. And there is free food and some compulsion to eat as much as possible. And it's an excuse to try and get a bit fitter and see some of the mountains. And the roads are closed for the event.

Well, overall though, pretty mad, even by my standards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home