Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Earthquake!

Just sitting here on my computer and the house shook as if a big truck had driven into it. I dashed to look out of all the windows but couldn't see a truck. Went outside to see if I could see anything and nothing there either.

So I typed, 'Nevada Earthquake' into google and that explained it...

Earthquake epicentre was just to the north of Lake Tahoe (I live on the south east end of the lake, the other side of the mountains, I guess around 3o miles away. Someone had told me they don't get earthquakes around here. Rubbish!

Here's a more detailed look at how close it was...




This has all made me think about super volcanoes, so I looked those up too. It transpires that there are several around here, one pretty close down near Mammoth, called the Long Valley caldera. Pretty impressive to live about 40 miles from a super volcano!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home