Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Friday, November 30, 2007

I can't run as fast as a rowing 8 (we just ran 5 miles)

I ran 5 miles today with Adam, Anthony, Rod and Tony today. The river was busy with lots of racing going on. As we plodded along one of the eights started to catch us. They looked extremely serious. I said to Adam - 'shall we race them?'. I asked him how fast the thought they would be going. He figured 6 min/mile pace. I thought that would be ok for a bit of a sprint. Adam said we should wait until they came alongside and then go. So, we jogged on, squinting towards the river and as they drew level, off we sprinted. What fun! Well, at first. We'd be going a while when I looked down and saw on my GPS that we were doing 5:14 min/mile pace. Their pacer on the bike shouted "200 metres" to the boat and I wondered about hanging on but started flagging and then let it go and walked. I watched Adam continue with them for a bit, until the bike pacer said "400M" and we realised we wouldn't make it.

Often we can run faster than the boats but clearly not the top teams! We only have 2 legs each and they have 16 arms and legs!

After the silly sprinting I was a bit pooped but it was a nice run with the lads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home