Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Angel Fish Swimming Gala

The Angel Fish swimming gala was a huge success! Panda Paula did an amazing job of running everything. My (GE!) team included Dan and his son Harry, Allister and his daughter Kathryn Robert's Daughter Hannah. Events included an egg and spoon race, swimming in a t-shirt, Doggy Paddle whilst barking and swimming with blacked out googles (so we couldn't see anything) and being guided down the pool.

I was particularly impressed with the guts shown by all of the children. None of them baulked at any of the events, not even swimming completely blindfolded and well out of their depth. It's extremely impressive to see such young children so totally confident in the water. During the wheelbarrow race Dan ploughed through the water with Harry gripping onto him from behind, rarely getting his head above water to take a breath and being completely unconcerned about it. I didn't get that confident in water until I was in my 30s!

After the swim we got some lovely food from Paula's mum and then had a pub quiz, which was also very professionally done and much fun. I was well pleased to join the Norwich quiz team and have the chance to chat with the world famous Jane Asher (holder of 26 world records, out of a possible 35, in her agegroup). She's 76 but looks like she's in her 50s!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home