Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

What would I do if I had a million pounds?

I sometimes wonder what I would do if I had a million quid (£). I find it a useful exercise, especially this week, filled with its various opportunities.

I've concluded before that I quite like the line of work I have fallen in to, which involves striving to design software products such that they genuinely meet the needs of the people who will use them, or 'User Experience Design'. I also quite like learning about various aspects of engineering, like learning about issues surrounding steam turbines. A guy at work, Gary, popped his head around the door one day and ended up doing us a half-hour tutorial on how various nuclear power stations work. Totally fascinating, far too interesting to be considered 'work' really.

So I think with a million quid in the bank I wouldnt mind doing exactly what I'm doing now but perhaps with a whole lot less of the corporate bureaucracy and politics, which can be tiring.

I suppose the other idea would be to do something environmental and shift that from a hobby to work. I reckon that could be fun too. I guess with a million I could start some kind of company in that area.

Anyhow, after these crazy ideas I sometimes realise that the lack of a million quid is no particular obstacle to doing any of these things. Quite a nice conclusion really! I wish I'd realised that at school!

1 Comments:

At 6:15 pm, Blogger James Aach said...

Readers might be interested to know there is a new techno-thriller novel about the American nuclear power industry, written by a longtime nuclear engineer (me). This book provides an entertaining and accurate portrait of the nuclear industry today and how a nuclear accident would be handled. It is called “Rad Decision”, and is at RadDecision.blogspot.com. There is no cost to readers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home