Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Skiing with Scott

Scott "broke the seal" on the ski season and dusted off his telemark skis to show me around Kirkwood.

On the way, there was very low cloud around and poor visibility at times. I was ready for a difficult day of skiing without being able to see much. I've done that before and it can be a bit unpleasant. By the time we'd reached Kirkwood we seem to have driven through the clouds and the mountain was bathed in sunlight and looking awesome.

Scott was pretty thorough with showing me around - we got all over the mountain, even the back of it. To get back to the car we took chair 6 to the cornice and cruised down. It was pretty dodgey looking skiing up there as you might deduce from the 'cliff' signs...

carl kirkwood cornice

We cruised along the top until we got to a section not designated a cliff. It was pretty steep and the more I looked the more steep it looked and the more scott grinned, so we just had to get on with it. Oddly it seems easier to ski on very steep stuff than on easy stuff, the only worry is that moment when you have to point the skis down the slope to execute the turn. We got down without broken bones though.

scott kirkwood cornice

Kathryn phoned a couple of times, the last time about 4 ish. I jabbered away on the phone without realising the ski lifts were about to close. A bit of a mistake that since I ended up walking quite a way back to the car in awkward ski boots whereas if I'd got it right I could've skiied almost to the car.

A much better days skiing today. Felt a bit more confident and in control than last week. Still not too many people there and I still had runs to myself in the afternoon. Sweet.

I think I know where I'm going tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home