Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Friday, November 02, 2007

organic box scheme

With Natalie and Adam buying local veg to feed me this week, and with Mum and Fred buying from a local farmer, I thought I should sort myself out. My neighbours, Simon and Jan, recommended an organic box scheme to me and at about noon I received my first batch:
- potatoes
- leeks
- parsnips
- carrots
- onions
- celery
- eating apples
- cooking apples
- eggs

My relationship with Tesco is radically different than it used to be. Most excellent.

Environmentally speaking, buying locally is one of the best things you can do. Flying is awful for the environment so buying Onions that have flown from Argentina (or wherever) is inherently not good whether they are labelled 'organic' or not.

Shortly after receiving this lot my friend Polly arrived and we went for a 9 mile run up to Waterbeach, including getting lost on that particular footpath which I always get lost on. Very pleasant though. My GPS said I burned 1200 calories.

After lunch, the kitchen was already a mess so I thought I'd have a go at making my first soup - leek and potato. This is the first time I have cooked since I was camping (I've been eating out a lot as part of the GE relocation deal). It is a REAL pleasure to have such easy access to great food that I haven't had to carry for MILES and access to a whole kitchen. I think camping has made me really appreciate some of the simple things in life.

2 Comments:

At 8:10 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds great, what is the name of your box scheme?

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger litsl said...

Hi Daisy,

I only had their phone number but using that in Google I found this:

Waterland Organics: - Suppliers of organic vegetables direct to the public and organic fruit plants for growers and gardeners. Certified by: Soil Association Certification G1709, Willow Farm, Lode, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB5 9HF. Tel - 01223 812912 Fax - 01223 812912

I spoke with Dorean. The food has been excellent so far!

Carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home