Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The End of the Bubbleinthedesert blog?

When I left New Zealand I wrapped up my kiwiwinter blog. Well, really it just lapsed. I was going to do the same with the bubbleinthedesert blog but I think I shall miss it. A couple of recent events have made me think this way. I met Dave’s sister recently, for the first time and she gave me a big hug and told me she loved the blog. I was a bit embarrassed and taken aback but what a nice way to make connections with people and quite surprising. Just a couple of weeks afterwards I was in the excellent Thai Basil restaurant in Carson City. The waiter (owner?) had been looking for his restaurant on Google and had found it on my blog (we went their for Sienna’s birthday last year). I thought that was nice. But then he started asking me about my hike and I thought, how does he know I’ve been hiking. Of course, from the blog. It is odd that people I have never met know something of my life. Perhaps it is more odd that I still find it surprising.

If the guys at the Thai Basil would like some help getting their restaurant to come out higher up the google rankings they should get in touch. I can see some simple improvements and am looking for work!

Last year a former professional triathlete was doing some research on Crit Racing and found my blog. She’s a really interesting person and has done loads of amazing events in incredible times. Through the blog, I’ve had the privilege of corresponding with her – someone I would never have met another way.

Along the way there have been lots of surprising little connections formed through writing down my thoughts (badly) on this blog. I am often taken aback when someone I don’t know has read a lot of what I’ve doing. But this is only for a surprised instant, mostly it just makes me smile.

So, thanks to you lot out there that read bits of this from time to time. Your responses have made me smile a whole lot. Please feel free to leave comments anytime you like, they always make me smile a lot.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Sure we read your blog! It's great to read what challenges you've conquered this time ;-)

Thanks for the nice card we've received of Mount Rainier. With the speed your moving around, it's hard to send you one back, though.

Anyway, all the best and hope to speak soon.

Cheers,
Frank Pistorius

 
At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a pleasure reading your Blog....I was tickled by your honourable mention.

Actually, if I hadn't met you through your Blog I wouldn't have started my own and I wouldn't have had my students create a Blog as an optional assignment in The Reflective Practitioner course I teach at the university....so thanks for that. I have had some enriching conversation with them as a result of their efforts.

If/when Bubbleinthedesert does come to an end I want to thank you for allowing us (the collective) into your world. You are a fascinating man!

Namaste
Hilary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home