Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

And on to the Grey Havens - 501st blog post

When I started this blog it was in no small part to let my Mum know what I was up to, so she could see I was ok and was having fun. I think I first imagined living in the Nevada desert with a bunch of Americans would lead me to a solitary and sweaty existence.

As I write this post it strikes me that my motivation now is to let my friends in Nevada, Denver, and from the PCT, know that I am ok and am back home safe. Of course it is also still for you Mum!!!!

Dave often says that they ruined my life bringing me to Nevada, with the fact that I split up with my girlfriend and lost my job being foremost in his mind. These things have been most difficult at times but when I reflect on my time in Nevada I would change nothing about it (though I could have done better on the girlfriend front I think - you live and learn). I have had the most incredible time in Nevada and found the desert to be quite quite different than I ever imagined. The Sierras, Lake Tahoe and even running in the high desert have been quite something. We also went through a lot together in 2 years with work and with our lives, several things that nobody should have to go through - it feels that we are the closer friends for this and that means a lot to me.

Hiking 1,500 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail was great way to top off my Nevada adventure.

Being laid off feels like one of the best things that ever happened to me. What a freeing experience!

Well, I'm staying with my Brother and his girlfriend Alex for a couple of days. I guess I am still in the throes of post long distance hiking transition and sentimentality. I miss the PCT trail a lot and my friends on it, and my friends in Nevada and Denver too. It's super nice to having had such a wonderful time out there in the USA to look back on and smile about, albeit with a tear in my eyes.

CDT 08? AT 08? Pennine Way 07? WHW 07? El Camino 07? Long distance bike ride 08? Long distance kayak trip 08? Oh, and I guess I need to give a passing thought to getting a job - anyone need a website?

PS When will my legs stop aching?

1 Comments:

At 5:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, Nevada misses you too.
~Sienna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home