Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

At White Pass (Packwood)

Hiked another 150 miles or so to get started on Washington. I'm now at White Pass and am staying in Packwood for a few days to recover from a little stomach upset.

I have hiked on my own quite a bit on this section though I started with Amtrak for a day and hiked with Ricola and OJ for a day and a half. I met many mushrooms of all kinds of shapes and sizes.

I felt pretty unwell 32 miles from the road and with a mountain to climb (well 2). I had serious diarrhea and couldn't even keep fluids down. Quite a worry so far from the road. I pushed on hard whilst i felt strong but eventually got a bit delirious and slept for a while. Realizing my food wouldn't last very long I had no choice but to make some miles and I managed 20 even though I felt awful. Thankfully (!) I had a horrible, loose, steep ridge to climb and the adrenalin from being so scared seemed to keep me going for a few more miles. Pretty glad to get down from up there in the wind and clouds.

Happy to be relaxing at the Inn of Packwood for a few days. Feel much better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home