Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Training run - prision hill - 20.5 miles

To prepare for our 50k High Desert Ultra Run in Mojave in December, Scott Sager (Sienna's husband) and I had to get some miles in today. We set off in Carson City, near their house, and did a couple of laps of the 'dog park' by Carson River before heading up Prison Hill to follow the route of the Escape from Prison Hill Half Marathon. After quite some time Scott told me it was the hardest half marathon in America. Although we were walking the hills, it was easy to believe.

I ate some gel at 7 miles and a cliff bar at 14, where I also took ibruprofen and an enduralite capsule to replace the lost salts. The pain in my legs was starting to come on around now, especially in my gluts but it was nothing like last weekend and I could run through this pain ok.

We finally got back and went to Reds, my usual thursday night karoke bar, for some welcome food.

After today's performance I think we are ready to try the 50k (31 miles) in less than 6 hours. Neither Scott or I have ever run a marathon before, so it's a bit odd going straight to an ultra trail run but as ultras go, it's not supposed to be too difficult (though I still have a hard time imagining a 31 mile run can be easy).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home