Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Kayaking and Swimming in Lake Tahoe

The company's adventure club is always pretty active and today they had organised a kayak trip on Lake Tahoe. Kayaks were pretty impressive sea kayaks made by Tsunami (140s i think). Seats and other fittings were very adjustable and the boats seemed quite stable, though the lake was mostly pretty flat.

This excursion was really for beginners so no spray decks were used and we didn't even use the rudder (which i missed a bit).

Had my usual problem of legs going dead after 30 minutes which was alleviated a bit by adjusting the seat (which was very easy even on the water). I think my problem stems from bad posture and very inflexible hips, which I notice a lot during yoga too. In a kayak you really need to sit bending forward a little, which really strains my lower back and hips and causes my dead legs I think. But anyway, something which would go away with a lot more kayaking I think!

So, we kayaked from Sand Harbour to Thunderbird Bay? I think this is named because it looks like something out of the Thunderbirds. You could imagine a roof sliding off the buildings there and Thunderbird 4 being launched. Apparently this is some kind of provate house or hotel or something, where apparently the president stays sometimes.

We kayaked for a couple of hours and then, having realised the lake water was quite warm, decided to go for a swim. So I swam the length of the beach, which was quite a bit farther than I thought. The water was odd, at once quite warm, and then as waves came in you would get washed in cold water, which as an inexperienced open water swimmer took my breath away.

Great fun on the lake and great adventure club at work!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home