Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Flying to Brazil from different directions

An early start to my vacation with an 8am flight from Reno to American Airlines hub in Dallas. Kathryn started a bit later from London but both of us faced a long trip to Sao Paulo. Jetlag was a bit odd with me going back in time 4 hours and Kathryn going forward in time.

When we were chatting to a nice girl in a touristy art/record shop/bar! in Praia Do Forte called Jiji we explained our outward trip and how we'd come to Brazil from different directions. She traced out the loveheart on the map, how nice!

We arrived in Sao Paulo to considerable chaos with 4 flights having landed at the same time. When I finally got through the snaking queue to Passport control I saw Kathryn join the back of the queue, so out greeting was one of waving at each other. We finally met up, got our luggage together and joined the snaking queue to get through customs.

After over an hour we got through it all, crossed the airport and immediately checked in for our flights to Salvador.

A while later we landed in Salvador and caught a bus to our hotel on Praia Ondina. Eduardo had booked this for us and it was one of the few hotels right on the beach, most were on the wrong side of the road.

After negotiating the locked gate to the beach from the hotel, we were on the beach, which is supposed to be a little polluted but after so much flying we didn't care much. The waves were pretty rough. I miscalculated once as I tried to jump a wave and it slammed me down, awesome power. After that we retired to the hotel pool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home