Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I made it to 40 !!!

I've not been very well for a few days but it didn't stop me making it to 40!

Yolanda has been a bit of a star and encouraged me to invite a few people out for dinner. So a load of us went to the Granta Bar at Cambridge University and had one of their famous £5 curries and some beers. The beer that night was not up to the usual standard by any means.

Huge thanks to all those who came along, even those who defied the present ban! I had a really nice time. It was very nice to see so many people out, most especially of all the most fit looking person there who has been very seriously ill recently and got the go-ahead to have his first beer the day before. I'm really pleased to have such nice friends. It makes being 40 just a number, particularly since I know many people who are much older than me who are much better at sport than I am!

Judith and Hannah brought me a hammock, on behalf of the swimming club, from the ethical superstore. The Hammock is from Traidcraft and those that made it have benefited directly from their efforts earning enough to buy a cart for their bullock and some land.

Earlier in the day my Mum had popped over with some presents. One of which was a vacuum flask which I now keep by my kettle so if I boil too much water I can put it in there for the next cup - very eco! She brought me a nice t-shirt from Fred too.

Yolanda bought me lots of nice things too and wrapped them in newspaper. She even made a card from some recent cycling photos from the WNBR. Excellent - Yolanda knows me very well!

Among the presents are a couple of books on Wild Food and growing vegetables, which I am looking forward to trying out.

1 Comments:

At 5:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, Happy Birthday. ~Sienna, Scott and our four mountain dogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home