Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Visisted Dave and Alison for Dave's 40th

Alison had secretly arranged for me to meet them at a restaurant for Dave's 40th in Atlanta. He had no idea I was coming so I had a disguise. Actually a terrible one, just a false moustache glue to my lip and sun glasses. The restaurant staff were great! As they sat down I was sent to give them the menus. Dave got me in about a millisecond. I had hoped my poor disguise would fool him as he hadn't expected me in the town at all, but alas no. So we had a fun meal and hung out for a bit.

IMGP0327.JPG

We visited Stone Mountain, one highlight of which was a ride on a DUKW amphibious vehicle from the second world war the speed of which, in water, gave rise to the expression 'a sitting duck'. Dave had been very keen to go on the DUKW but things started to go wrong before we boarded. The "captain" has quite a sense of humour and handed every passenger a duck beak shaped quacker. Dave refused his but the Captain was having none of it and eventually put Dave's on in Alison's hand. Right from the start the trip was full, well, over full, of kwacking sounds. Dave's face was the funniest thing on the planet!

We took the cable car to the top of Stone Mountain and marvelled at the stone relief carved into the side of it. Nice views of Atlanta from the top of this funny rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home