Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Cyclocross in Sacramento at Folsom Rodeo

The race briefing was excellent and the competitors had a great spirit. Someone piped up, 'let's be a bit careful, we all have to go to work on monday'. Fortunately I'd arrived early enough to do a couple of laps of the course and have an idea what I was in for. It was like no other kind of riding I've ever done - a very tricky business.

Julie took some excellent photos as did a race photographer (you can buy those from the latter here... Sacramento Cyclocross Photos.

My group was a popular one so they started us with a run across a playing field...
IMGP0923.JPG

...then over a pile of wood chips (see me and Scott in our Alta Alpina shirts?)...
IMGP0926.JPG

Off the wood chips and onto the bikes...


Off we go...


Into the dust...


Some people even contemplated overtaking...


You could run or ride this one (scott rode it)...


Scott still on the bike tailed by runners...


Well, you can't ride all of it...!








IMGP0995.JPG

Found some tarmac at last - the downhill section...


Our very vocal support team...
IMGP0993.JPG

Well, it was fun. I reckon I was nearly dead last but the results actually say I was 24th out of 33. There were quite a few flat tyres so there were not so many people actually still riding that finished after me! Scott was 8th, which was pretty impressive given the field.

Riding a cross bike, which is essentially a tough road bike with slightly knobbly tyres on it, down steep and rocky terrain was tricky. My hands bounced up from the brakes a few times making it hard to stop. I'm not entirely sure I'm cut out for this kind of racing but it was very much fun to try it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home