Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Another quick dog walk with snow shoes

After skiing I attempted to burn a few more calories and entertain Asher (Nick's dog) by going for another snow shoe walkabout. Again, straight from the back of Nick's house we headed into what seems like total woodland wildnerness (until you occasionally catch sight of a house). Still it is indeed the edge of an expanse of snow, trees and hibernated bears (I wonder where they hibernate).

We walked as far as the trail head of the Rim Trail, the sign for which really gave me an understanding of the depth of snow I was standing on. The sign is head height in the summer but today you'd need to kneel down to read it.

PICT0004.JPG

I had a go with the self-timer on my camera and gave up in digust because it didn't seem to work (and because when I got into position my right leg sank about 2 feet, as you will see in the picture). I kept wondering when such sinking feet would land on the head of a hibernating bear but luckily feet don't sink very often when you have snow shoes on! In fact, they are excellent.

PICT0006.JPG

I'm already missing my mountain retreat! What an excellent place to live!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home