Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

G20 Protest

With all eyes on the G20 protesters the media made a lot of very little trouble from the protesters. The idiots who look for trouble when they are protesting really annoy me but for the most part I respect people who show up and defend our right to protest. I'm sorry I wasn't at this protest.

I was disappointed by the near universal condemnation of the protesters and sympathy for the Police from the Radio 4 Any Questions program the following weekend. It seems that everyone believes it is all about the protesters being dangerous or potentially dangerous.

Only now is it beginning to emerge quite how outrageous the Police tactics were that day - see Metropolitan police chief launches inquiry into G20 protest tactics | Politics | The Guardian and the videos linked from there.

I really fail to see how people holding up their hands and chanting, "this is not a riot" are lining themselves up for a beating by Police.

It seems a new law has been passed to make it illegal for us to photograph the Police. Luckily a few have violated this law or we would not know how outrageous their tactics were. Some were even photographed hiding their badges. Is this the sort of Police we want?

A million people protesting in London against the Iraq war were not heard. This has put a lot of people off exercising their right to protest. I'm sure Kettling tactics and Police violence will have put off even more people.

Shall we just hand it over to Gordon and let him do what he likes?

We can sit at home and watch the telly.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,,,,

___________________
Smarry
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels

 

Post a Comment

<< Home