Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

A bit knackered...

I feel a bit knackered at the moment. The Dr burned something on my disgusting left foot this week which has remained sore enough to have left me limping all week. I messed up my left knee in circuit training and I seem to wake up every morning with a bad back. So, a bit knackered.

I've managed to continue to cycle 5 miles back and forth to work and did a great evening of running training with the Cambridge Triathlon club. We did a speed session of 6 x 3 minutes at race pace. My pace was radically different from the early sets to the later ones: 6:38 min/mile; 6:49; 6:31; 6:10; 6:11; 6:01 (smelled the barn on the last one). I've never run on a track before and really enjoyed it. I very nearly got 2 complete circuits in within the 3 minutes but do need to step it up a bit to really get there. I went for a swim later but the soreness on my foot didn't left me do it well.

Friday was really fun though. The Cambridge Triathletes have borrowed a local pond to practice open water swimming. I donned my wetsuit and joined about 25 swimmers in circling the pond (which is about 1300m around). It's quite a different experience swimming in the open water. One of the more noticeable aspects is how hard it is to swim in a straight line. Clearly, in a race, swimming straight is a big advantage so learning to spot as you swim is very helpful. It is quite strange to see ducks sitting on the bank as you swim past them - I felt quite aquatic! What a nice start to the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home