Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not so greener than thou

Although Yolanda and I had fun working out the carbon equivalent cost of taking the train to France when compared with flying, it might sound a bit 'greener than thou'.

This really isn't the case. I have just opened my passport and quickly worked out my airmiles since 2004. I've made about 4 trips to New Zealand, 13 to the US and 2 to Canada. When you factor in the radiative forcing effect, that works out about 121 tonnes of CO2 emissions. This is entirely unacceptable, it's more than my fair share and is why I have quit flying (it's quite an adventure to travel without flying too). It's a bit sad that this outweighs any of the other eco things I have done and perhaps will ever do. Perhaps I need to quickly buy some solar panels and a wind turbine to start offsetting some of this effect. A quick calculation reveals that it might take 60 years to offset it that way. Oh well, I can try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home