Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

17 miles - Vidette Meadows to half way up Pinchot Pass - done 350 miles now

The day started with a few mosquitoes as I got my tent down. I was pleased to learn that because I wasn't going in to Independence I didn't need to go over Kearsage Pass. Instead I had to contend with Glenn Pass, which was ok really.

I expected an easy 8 mile descent the other side. In the event it was rocky and difficult and mosquito filled. What an awful day. By dusk I was ready to quit but I met another PCTer, Amtrak, who was heading half way up the next pass to sleep because it was warmer up there, had fewer bugs and less bear problems. Sufficiently motivated I joined him.

It was quite nice to end the day halfway up Pinchot pass too - less to do in the morning.

Bear hang was difficult tonight but worse was taking a number 2 in a swarm of mosquitoes.

Amtrak is very nice and well travelled. Great to camp with someone else, though he hasn't used a tent for 6 weeks (he's a bit hardcore!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home