Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Still Alive - Crossed Mojave Desert and now in Kennedy Meadows

Have had no cell phone coverage for over a week and still don't. I probably won't have cell phone coverage much at all.

We crossed some hot parts carrying a lot of water (6 litres minimum - 12.5lbs). Throughout the day my pack got lighter as I drank the water which was, at first flush, quite nice. Then it dawned on me that it meant, NO WATER LEFT in my pack. Water sources were ok though and pretty much according to our maps and water reports. From here on the water situation improves so we will need to carry much less. We even walked along a river last night for some miles. AWESOME.

Kennedy Meadows is a really nice oasis. A store, friendly folks and a whole load of hikers here.

Got a lot to do. Such a rush walking so far every day. Gotta check my feet and my email. Oh and I haven't showered for a week now, so that should perhaps make the list somewhere along the line.

More later. Just wanted to let you know I was still alive and you may not hear from me from week to week.



Catra, Curt and I posed for a Jerry Springer style break-up. Curt wants to hike fast so Catra is going to hook up with him and I'm heading out on my own now.

1 Comments:

At 3:41 am, Blogger Dave said...

Keep it going Carl!!! The fire is almost out at Tahoe, so when do you get here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home