Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

I bought a car!!!!

I finally stopped messing about and bought a car. I had a massive chunk of luck this week. I've only just realized that the Suzuki Sidekick is the same as the Geo Tracker and the Chevy Tracker. Great cars and not as popular as Subarus here so a little cheaper. I found a 2001 model with 40,000 miles on it for $6,000. They paid $15,000 for it new and it still looks new now. The owners were an old couple and he was an engineer. This is one of those really really lucky finds. The whole thing is super clean inside and out and I even know what brand of sythetic oil he's used in the engine for the last 4 years.

Driving home tonight I quickly realized that this is exactly my kind of car. It's perfect. Why you ask? Well, although it's an SUV it's about the smallest one you can buy. It gets 30mpg. It's a convertible with a hard top fitted and a soft top intact. It had 4 wheel drive and an extra gear lever looking thing to move into that mode. And it has what all little boys dream of - a POWER button which makes it go faster. Dave told me it probably just makes it make more noise but I think it might do something else too. What a car, I am truly bowled over - partly because I am relieved that I have finally bought a car and can stop all that searching and messing about.

I just hope I can fit a bike in it and figure out how to make it carry skis.

Oh yeah, and the funniest thing of all is that the existing number plate is "layoff", which is kind of appropriate.
chevy tracker

chevy tracker

The guy was really nice and he was very impressed with my head torch, so in the end I gave him it. He was as pleased as punch with that, so I'm glad I did. The full tank of gas he left in the car easily pays for that.

1 Comments:

At 6:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever get a bicycle to fit in there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home