Bubble in the desert

A blog I started whilst on a GE "Bubble" assignment in Nevada. I'm back in Cambridge (UK) now but still miss the desert and my friends out there.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Basil cried out in the night

Basil cried out, "What's That!" in the night. Instantly we were all awake. Basil says flashlights popped on like porch lights. Between us we had seen a handful of bears yesterday so I think we were more alert than we thought. I don't think I have ever seen a group of people wake up quite so quickly, well, instantly.

Deers were wandering about our camp but something like a chipmunk had jumped onto Basil's pack and caused some alarm. The next day, and for as long as we could sustain it, we joked that Basil was attacked by a Bunny Rabbit in the night (though we have not, in reality, seen any bunny rabbits).

The incident ended with Bull saying, "Hey Basil, you can come in my tent and snuggle if you like" (a reference to a phrase heard one steamy night in Kennady Meadows where the tent walls seemed to provide some illusion of sound proofing to a number of people that night).

I have felt a bit tired today, which is probably food related. The food is running a bit low but it's according to plan and when it's low the pack is lighter, which is handy. We certainly are starting to look forward to a quick stop in Bridgeport for a feed, though I think hitching from Sonora Pass is going to be very tricky.

Towards the end of the day I came upon a beautiful high lake called Dorothy Lake. As I approached it I could see a small spot of sandy beach and resolved to get myself a bath before camping for the night. It took some will to throw myself in but it was rather nice to get that clean. I don't mind feeling dirty too much but when my whole body gets sticky, with I guess a mixture of DEET and sweat, it isn't a whole lot of fun. Nice to skinny dip in a high lake too, kinda natural feeling!

We finally left Yosemite to some celebration. Bear canisters are only mandated in Yosemite ($150 fine) and everyone is looking forward to posting the awkward and heavy things home. Mind you, some nights I have wished I had one when I couldn't find a decent branch to hang my food bag from.

We finally got to the 1,000 mile mark on the trail (550 miles for me) and camped there to some other celebrations. Congratulations to Amtrak, Basil, Bull, Tumbleweed and Happy Feet. It was nice to camp in a big group again with Heather, and me in addition to the 1,000 milers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home